Monday, May 22, 2023

Royal Flush And Got Paid

It is truly rare to see a royal flush get paid off in Texas Hold'em simply because it is likely nobody has anything good enough to look you up when you bet it on the river. Yet, last Thursday night at my local tournament game I was able to knock a guy out while holding the best possible hand in the game. Lucky for me, my opponent held the second nuts.

It was during the tournament and after winning the hand I had a great lead going into the no-rebuy period, but the river had the 10, jack, queen, and king of clubs on the board. I held the ace of clubs for the royal. Troy was stuck with the losing end of the straight flush with the nine of clubs. I put him all in for his final $3,000 in tournament chips, but he almost folded. Had the rebuy period been over, he probably would have.

Troy talked about folding a straight flush, but said he would never be able to bring himself to do it in this situation, so he called and I got to show my amazing hand. Of course, seeing how I get no respect among my "friends" out in Weatherford, they all said, "Nice river Matt," and we moved along.

This was my second royal flush in a live game. It was nice to make some tournament money on the hand. I ended up finishing first and added a top place finish to my stats for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment